Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Running with the Big Dogs


Yep, this puppy got off the porch to take a run with the big dogs. I had meetings all day yesterday with people that had titles after their name like: director, CEO, emeritus, PhDs, chairman, and usually more than one title - unlike mine which follows my name as volunteer.

It was quite a learning experience. I watched body language,subtle and not so subtle power struggles and measuring others up. I was like a puppy being potty trained...

Not sure exactly what was productive out of the meetings- lots of "good meeting", "this was helpful", "let's keep doing this" and "sounds good."

See, I think sometimes they are so far removed from the worker bees that they don't know what is going on. A few times when I was acknowledged that I was there- I was asked to clarify - which I thought I did (taught 8th grade -I can be clear if I need to be) - then they would reiterate and it was nothing like I said. How many different languages can we be speaking here?

So while I was hoping for a concrete task list, support, new strategies to moving forward - they just seemed to applaud themselves for getting together. Very strange.

So I am continuing to work through some piles, set my own tasks to meet the goals we ALL set, and hopefully I made some connections with leader dogs for when I need a favor.
Yep this puppy is moving on....

6 comments:

insanemommy said...

This sounds like my weekly Monday meeting! I hate meetings and I hate even more watching the "big dogs" lick and lap all over one another. Too funny. They definitely need their egos stroked.

redmaryjanes said...

Girl,
They have nothing on you! Just keep your head high and choose your words for the most impact.

"M2" said...

that used to be my life
I chucked it.
How many Brooks Brothers suits and power ties could a girl take???

titles shmitles
unfortunately a lot of these people (men) do need attention and ego stroking
My recommendation for confidence is for you to just picture the big dogs licking their bal*s.

oh.... I crack myself up

Barkfoot said...

These knights from the round table need to be decruited. Don't get dilberted or let them catch you glazing, you wouldn't want a visit from the chainsaw consultant. If you're having a salmon day then be careful it doesn't send you postal!

Yoli said...

The corporate world, oh yes, very well acquainted with it and their games. Like Rony said, they need their egos stroked. Every idea must be their idea or it is no good.

"M2" said...

where are you???????????