Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Posting time & Set-up

Alright, just how long does it take you to do ONE post. One with a few pictures?
It just took me an hour to post on my adoption info site. The post below was at least that - I didn't have all the images ready before I started.
Goodness!I must be slow or something. I would like to post daily but my hubby thinks I have an blog-addiction problem, yeah - whatever (eye roll).
So if I am slower than most to post- what am I faster at than the average? hmmmm

Hmmmm (sigh) I don't get punch lines in a reasonable amount of time.

Hmmmm(sigh) I react slower than most (see post below).

Hmmmm(sigh) I eat slower than most.

Hmmm(sigh) It takes me longer to sleep than most.

Hmmm(sigh) I drive slower than most (ie that would be 3 over the posted speed limits)

I got it! I talk faster than most! ?Is that good?

***************************


Set-up:
Last night I was set -up. Yep, the 7 yr old works hard trying to get his Mother committed to the loony bin (same place Ms. Dragon fly visited ;)
To back up a bit- I have been trying some new parenting phrases.
The latest is "So how would you handle that?" Basically, I am trying to help instill some responsibility, ownership and action after a situation that needs attention.

I have used this when the boys are fighting - I get interesting answers but the idea is to keep them talking and thinking about it instead of taking the anger fight mode. They come up with a solution, hopefully and with some guided discussion, it is resolved.

OK - so last night, I am beckoned to my 7 year old's room by "Mom, would you pleeeaaaaaaaassssssssssse come here?" Not in a crisis voice but like it was important. So I walk over.

He commands "Now stand here." He points that wiggly finger to a spot on the floor. Ok - I am wondering when did I become the robot of choice, but I dutifully do this. Then he grinned (?) said "Look up"

I do. Now, right above me is a very large spider looking back at me! I am not afraid of spiders except when they are unexpected - I can't go through the psycho babble of -they are more afraid of me, they don't bite, this is natural, it is kind of cute, look at how well it is adapted, blah blah etc.

I think I sucked in all the air in the room when the little monster says "So how are you going to handle THAT?"

Now, I believe there are many paths in life. There were so many options for me at the moment. Some were not going to get me to that Terrific Mom award (it is out there - I heard about it but never make the first round). Was he trying to KILL me? How long can I ground him? Maybe he can live with Grandma! These are of course the only ones I can type in public (don't want to lose my NICE award).

After staring in disbelief for oh-maybe eternity (remember I am not quick on the draw, apparently even survival skills).

The little guy has the nerve to continue "Would you like me to make a suggestion?"
I think I nodded, but slowly.

"Back up and get a container to take it outside." announces Mr. smarty pants.

So do you think he is on to my new parenting techniques?
Do you think he is learning how to manipulate the system?
Do you think he understands how this is effective to work things out?
(bahhaha- hard to type that one)

4 comments:

"M2" said...

um...........if he's old enough to put you in your place
he's old enough to get a container and get the creature out of your house
and then perhaps vaccuuum for mouthiness

Anonymous said...

Super slow eating drives me nuts. I like your approach on parenting.

Anonymous said...

I had to stop reading about 1/2 way because I was laughing so hard.....only because it reminds me so much of something my boys would do!
oh yea....he's testing you!
too funny, toooo funny!

by the way, I am slow at most things too...eating, walking...but not driving, I'm a pretty fast driver...always pushing it to the limit. I've gotten pulled over several times.....but only 2 tickets. (none on my record though...got connections :-)

Watch...I'll get a ticket today and can't get it fixed! ...LOL

insanemommy said...

Oh, he so has your number. You're a goner!!!