Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Sunday, November 4, 2007

New life - Ala Volunteer


I've been away for a bit. I do check in but haven't left many comments.It is really hard to deal with China and the wait - I am become the ostrich. Sorry.
What I have done away from the blogging world is become cheap labor:)
I am immersed in the "volunteer" world. Amazing how my plate is fuller than a teaching job. I have to learn to say "not today, but thanks for asking."
I - many of you will understand- feel that I have to prove something since I am not working. I can't just tell people that I took a year off - no I have to ramble on how I am doing this and that.
I am proud to say that the mentoring program I am coordinating as a "volunteer" has 42 people signed on, trained and background checked. The largyntis I had was diagnosed as viral (ie no magic pills) and has lasted almost 4 weeks with varying symptoms as it has kicked my butt.

I am pulling the energy together this week to start the mentors in 3 different math classes. The goal of the program is to improve confidence and performance in the basic math skills. SO Hopefully I will be on a schedule by Thanksgiving.

I have missed working with the 8th graders so I also "volunteered" to advise a school leadership group. The group is to serve and work on philanthropy projects in the good name of the school. It is good to be with the students in a non authority role and I enjoy their energy BUT organizing and running the 15 projects they have identified is not going so smoothly. They don't have enough experience to do timelines or focus on tasks that need to get done for the project to work. I am really trying to make sure that this is their activities and sometimes we don't get something done. After the adult mentoring gets started - then I can devote more time to this.

Last thing I am "volunteering" to do is coach the science Olympiad team. BUT I have enlisted about 5 other retirees and young scientists to help on certain events. I will just arrange the times and work on recruiting the kids.

Sounds pretty insane. Yep. It feels like it too but I am happy. I will want a "job" next fall. Where that will be I don't know. I am trying all these things I wanted to do first. I am able to help at the kids school too. Very rewarding and God Bless the elementary teachers!

In my original plan of life - which I know I have no control over anymore- I was to have traveled to China this fall and be home with a little girl and treat her like a princess. I have hyper focused into other areas to pass the time, enjoy the boys and family for now. This sounds confident but it is still a struggle to take during referral time.
Thanks for reading.
PS some of you change your blogs- how do I post when I have to subscribe?

4 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

Just checking in on you. I think it's great that you are volunteering. I don't have an answer for your blog question. Hope all is well.

Mamacita said...

That was my plan too. I thought I'd be bouncing a baby on my hip and typing one-handed by now. Now, I'm just sad and jobless and feeling guilty. I'm not in control either and that just ticks me off!

insanemommy said...

Good for you. I remember "back then" how unbearably difficult the wait was. I'm here if you ever just need a little hug.

"M2" said...

be an ostrich if you feel the need.
I'll still be here obsessing FOR YOU
:)