Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Me & My grandmother seize the day!

It is kind of late and I am having trouble focusing. I will share some tidbits of the day with you.

Bleary eyed- I meet my grandmother in the kitchen - trying to get some coffee going for us. She tells me " I am done cooking- I am on vacation." Uh - ok- She made an egg side dish last night while I made breakfast, lunch & dinner. But not necessary - I'll cover.

She told me she doesn't like my driving. I have a clean record (please don't jinx me...). I have a minivan- I know the corners and I guess I was getting too close to cars when I was parking. I did NOT ask her to get out and walk.

We went to our mall today and lost my grandmother for a half an hour. She is not very tall so you cannot see her at a distance. I decided I would hear her. Yep. Sure enough, she started yelling in Target for me. I hesitated only a few moments before claiming her.

She insisted on buying my oldest son, who came with us, a backpack. She told me my other son did not need one. She was right in that he won one earlier in the summer BUT I have a tough time playing favorites. My youngest will certainly notice not returning with a little something for him. I showed her some books he would like, she didn't bite. So I bought him one. When we got home she said" Your mother bought this for you, I think you have plenty."
OK- uhm...we will have to discuss this tonight at bedtime.

Our mall is nothing like New York City - I was told a hundred times- yah- this is the midwest mid size town.....Still we have pretty much everything you could want and more. If she saw something that was pricey - she told me the store was "ridiculous". If she saw something for a bargain- it was "junk". Nope she didn't buy anything for herself. If she needs something "New York stores" will have it.

Another store she was looking for PJs. Jokingly I found a sexy nightie and brought it over to her as a joke. She saw it and said it was "nice" and that she would buy if for me to show my husband! Argh - PLEASE don't go there. I put it back and told him about it when we got home. We both agree - not an area to go to.

I took them to see a minor league baseball game. We have our first year of one of the Dogers Farm teams. It is a nice stadium and very family friendly. Cheap, clean and easy to get to. The reserved seats were sold out so I opted for lawn seats. My grandfather insisted on carrying our collapsible lawn chairs. When we got to the four flights of stairs up - I grabbed them and told him to take my grandmother's arm. He is actually the unstable one but so Dang proud. I understand I am still a child in his eyes, but I wish he would let me help more.

We made it through to the 7th inning. Once the sun went down- I think she was getting chilled in her sweater and jacket. It was about 65 degrees but a slight wind. My boys were not too pleased when I told them to pack up but didn't have a fit, surprisingly. I didn't realize that my grandfather promised ice cream when we were leaving.

Great. Ice cream at 9:30 at night with my two wildcats.
I was told NOT to nag the kids and let them get WHATEVER they want. Luckily, the gal serving us was a former student and I snuck over to her while faking a restroom trip and told her to cut the sizes down.

My grandmother has been feeding my dog "stuff". My dog really doesn't do well with anything but un-dyed dog food. My dog has a "sensitive" stomach. We returned home after the game- yep - my dog showed them first hand what garbage food can do to her. Of course, my grandmother swears that she didn't give her much.

We also received 5lbs of cookies from a New York bakery today. My grandmother said that these are the best and that way she could have some "good" cookies with her coffee. Five pounds is a lot. They really haven't been eating much. I hope the cookies can freeze for holidays. My kids haven't finished with the bag of candy yet.

The TV is on a lot more than usual. My grandmother calls it the "idiot box". Yet, they put it on for noise. See- I like quiet now, I am tired of noise. Ok, whatever makes them happy. Idiot is also a word that we don't approve of, especially around my youngest. He rationalizes that if he knows of someone who did something in the grey zone of right & wrong - THEN it must be ok for him! I am not sure what movies my youngest was watching while we were at the mall but he told me he saw a person lose their head. Yeah- mommy is almost there too...Just kidding...

My oldest was reading and my grandmother said "this is good to see you being so smart" and that she likes to read too. She showed him her book. She reads Harlequin Romance books. He kind of jumped when he saw the cover of hers and recovered quickly with "you can read mine when you are done."

Tomorrow we are planning to stay home. I have some work stuff to do. Maybe a walk in our local city gardens but I think they are tired.

I am trying to "sneak" in hugs when ever I can to both. I am laughing a lot having them here in a good way. I need to get more pictures of them together and sneak a few of those special moments in too when they aren't looking.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bottle of wine is one its way!
or will you need Vodka?.....LOL.....

Elizabeth said...

Your Granmother's hijinx are hilarious! Keep posting them, it makes me feel more normal.
I wonder is she European? Cuz my Mom (God love her) has traits of this type of 'specialness'.
Give her a kiss from Ms. Dragonfly would you? Or a bum pinch?

"M2" said...

maybe you should place some nice Feng Shui candles around
and do some deep breathing techniques.

my grandma was 4 foot 10 inches :)
we'd loose her often...especially after she hit the bloody marys

insanemommy said...

OMG, this is hysterial!!! My mil is always trying (key word trying) to give my girls cookies. She knows better cuz I'll put her in a nursing home if she doesn't behave!!! She also use to play favorites with the one twin over the other. We nixed that real quickly. We told her we wouldn't fly her up anymore if she didn't knock that shit off..... Fixed her.... lol.

insanemommy said...

I just went back and re-read your post. Loosing granny in the mall is high on the funniest ever list. You crack me up. Oh, don't mind all of my spelling errors I really can't see this damn keyboard! Ugh..... I need bigger, big glasses......

redmaryjanes said...

Hang in there. I guess my Grandparents aren't the only tough ones. Love them to pieces, take a lot of deep breaths and pictures : )

Operationtigerlily said...

Grandma sounds like a riot! Maybe you can get one of those leashes that they put on toddlers, since Grandma is petite she just may fit. No more getting lost at the mall. Enjoy the rest of their visit!

Barkfoot said...

Getting away with being grumpy and rude is lifes way of compensating you for getting old.

Yoli said...

Just love her. I wish I had my granny which was another handfull. Yours sounds very very funny and a pistol. Just love her.