Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Sunday, September 2, 2007

She's Back!

Hello- All!
Whoa - was there really an August??? I guess I put travel, vacations, meetings and visits all to this month. It was so full on the calendar, I can't believe it is over! I found myself without the blog world and a computer often and missed everyone. Grab some coffee or tea- this is a long one...

Let me wrap up my visitors. I had a great time with my grandparents- they are a hoot! She was so helpful to put dishes away that we are still have a FUN game trying to find where everything was put. You never know what will be in those top cabinets.



Here is a picture of my plastic bags she FOLDED!?? I have no idea why she does this- She asked where she should put them - then I showed her the bag that all the others were stuffed into! You can imagine her look and sigh - like she was thinking if she had enough energy to fold all the others.

The last morning with them- we had a nice breakfast. My grandfather actually shared some stories about the "good-ole-days". The times they went "dancing at a club," - real dancing together with some rhythm. Fighting in WWII with my uncles - trying to meet up on days off and learning to load a gun together. How really exciting the NY state fairs were and getting candy treats. Dealing with discrimination at his work because he was Italian, and how important family really is- he helped many of my cousins get jobs.

My grandparents really take care of each other. Through all the nagging and bickering - there is something very deep between them. I really don't think one can fully live without the other anymore. It is powerful and special and privilege to see.

They are back in their "retirement" home. It isn't NY and very isolated for them but my aunt lives close by to check on them. They live in a house. Both are still very healthy. I wondered if I could have them stay with me longer. Michigan is nice in the summer- maybe for 2-3 weeks. I will have to think about it more and hope they will agree.

But to leave this on a different note- As I was hugging her good bye "Now, be a good girl." Uhm...who told her???

******************************************************************
My big news - which some of you may know - I am taking a leave from my teaching duties this year. I have been so stressed out with lots of stuff that I was needing a change. I had THOUGHT we were traveling to China by now and that would have been a great change! A chance to stay home, be my own boss, and get a new focus BUT...No- 11 months still not even close...

SO I can't stay home and not have a PROJECT. I am a bit of a spaz and need to have a bunch of things going or I am lost. I am going to work on organizing a mentor/volunteer program in the middle schools for science and Math.
Earlier I asked for help with a name- Barkfoot suggested S*M*A*R*T and that is what "powers that be" are liking for the moment. I still have the others names- but as I look to seek grants for some funding for supplies- I realize the politics of "do what others say." So they are choosing a title.
Anyhow- I am excited. This will provide some outlet for my creative side that has been in sort of a stalemate for a bit. I also love challenges- I really want this to be successful and productive.

This was a VERY hard decision since we still don't have most of our money saved for our travel to China. We are losing about a 1/3 of our income but my dh is very good financially and know we will be fine if we follow some sort of a budget.
BUDGET - has always seemed like a Dirty word. My mother worked when I was young and as soon as I could- I got a job. It is part of me to be independent. This will be an adjustment.

It was really hard to pack up my classroom after 14 years. I will have a choice to return to teaching in a year but not necessarily in the building with my friends and level I was at. So I am taking a huge risk. Leaving my colleagues who have become close friends- people who you depend on and can understand teaching like I do was also emotionally upsetting. Yes, there have been some breakdown days - and I am not one to let go easily either.

I am going to look at it (because I have to) as a good thing to rejuvenate and slow down. As with this China adoption - there are ups and downs. The support I get online and friends here, helps get me out of funks. Change is good...Prayers...Faith can move mountains....

*******************************************************************
I am sorry to neglect so many of you on your blogs- I am going to have to get the boys in school (Tuesday) and get caught up.
Tagged for the 7 Ps.

Thank you Mamacita for tagging me.

There are no rules or guidelines to this.

I tag:
Derouen Princess
Wanderlust
Ms. Dragonfly
and anyone else who wants to play.

The 7 P's. It was hard to use only SEVEN, so I cheated on some and used more.

PANDORA's box - What I question when I have those thoughts of saying what is really on my mind.

PETS & PACMAN - gotta have...

PIZAZZ- Needing a little more now and then in life.

PERCEPTION - Everything has another view. In my age old wisdom- there is many more ways to view a situation.

PHLEGM - biologically useful but sounds disgusting as it looks.

PHOTOGRAPHY- I have plans to take more pictures - divulge in the creative side more- a release and freedom. I would like to start a photo challenge going for anyone. More thoughts on this later.

PEACEMAKER, PRACTICAL, PURPOSEFUL- Roles I am comfortable with.



Me & dH- relaxing and ready for a new chapter...

5 comments:

Cari said...

Wow -- you're brave to leave teaching for a year!! I think that's one of the things that makes our profession great -- lots of room for change and development. Enjoy the year! (It will probably fly by) and good luck in the new venture!
Cari

Anonymous said...

welcome back. Lots of good reading there.

Elizabeth said...

Welcome back. A year off? Yahoo!
That's awesome.
Budget is a dirty word, but I will forgive you this once for using.

insanemommy said...

Wow. I wondered where you scooted off too. Welcome back. Enjoy your time off. I agree. Budget is a dirty word...

"M2" said...

Hello dear...... on my sabatical, decided to come visit you.

you love pacman? me too!!!! especially the Misses.

I got a joystick
(tee hee)
for Christmas a couple years ago
and it worked for like a day.
They never took off real well... malfunctioning joystick
was a little slow moving :)