Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Flying Squirrels


WHOA! What a morning... My neighbor & I were talking outside and we hear some crazy animal chatter in the trees. Next thing we know there is a little red squirrel jumping over our heads and landed in the yard and dashed into some bushes. I hadn't even finished my coffee - so we both checked - did you see that?

Our suburban little red squirrels don't do this. Plus my dog was in the yard too. We were amazed and thought how cool it was. I went back to my deck to do some reading when I saw a squirrel do it AGAIN! This time from the other side of the tree. Then it scampers back and joins the other squirrel in the tree and they chase around until one ends up "flying" out- sometimes landing on a neighboring tree - sometimes just thudding onto the ground.
I raced inside to get my camera- knowing it probably will stop and I would be too late. I put my dog inside. Then stood near the base of one tree and wait. After some misses - I got it!

I can't tell yet if it was the same squirrel jumping or two. There were only two playing in the trees. It seemed like they were playing "king-of-the-tree". They ran around & around when all of the sudden - one comes "flying" out from some part of the tree and lands randomly. If it is only one - what an cool survival adaptation! Or terrible trait that will cause it to die out very soon due to poor landing choices (ie my dog). Maybe it bumped its head too many times. You never know.

This whole morning ritual only lasted about 10 minutes. I hope to get out there tomorrow and see if they do it again! Please click on the picture to get the whole effect.


One of the squirrels.

6 comments:

Mamacita said...

Wow! Amazing shot! I can't believe your timing! Those are some cute little squirrels too!

"M2" said...

Great shot!!!
I have never had the fortune to see one alive
only dead in my bed.
They are cute

Elizabeth said...

Um... what was in your coffee?
that and, thanks for your comments about watching the little Chinese children. I too want to run up to the adoptive families and gush to them, but I'm keeping myself on a short leash these days, especially after one not so cool time.....

Bauer said...

Hey, Rocky... watch me pull a rabit out of my hat.

Barkfoot said...

That was good going getting the little chap in shot. I'v seen squirrels fall out of trees here in England, and surprisingly they just seem to bounce, look a little stunned and then run back up the tree unharmed.

insanemommy said...

I don't like flying objects. Makes me want to run and get my gun. No, I don't really have a gun...only in my head. Bwahahaha...