Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Monday, July 2, 2007

What makes you tick? Part 2


How do you canoe?

We use to canoe more with our dogs when we did training for search & rescue work. Yesterday we went and it brought back some great memories.
There are different "styles" to canoeing.

There are the zig zagers.

There are the circle people.

There are the tipsy people that like to tip.

Some like the white water canoe trips.

There are some that move straight-as-an-arrow.

There are browsers, and lets-get-somewhere people.

The place where you sit can be important too.

I think canoeing with someone is necessary to see if your are compatible. It is part of a list we joke about. My best friend & I took a women's trip and found out we are OK too.
My husband prefers the back spot while I like the front. In the front there isn't as much pressure. I can tell what side he is paddling on and help keep us straight or help us turn. Also up front- I am the scouter.
He wants the control spot - I am OK with that- I mean- then he is to blame if we get lost!
Yesterday, we rented canoes as a family down an easy river. Very calm. It was a sunny day and another couple joined us with their boys. Three hours, very peaceful. Stopping for some swimming. It is one of those events that gets ruined if you do it alot but a couple of times in the summer is just right. The kids made it nosier than usual but they had a good time. It was hard to see much wildlife since the kids talked real loud and shouted when they saw something like a turtle or a bird.

We took an exploratory path - the city adventurers but ended on a back pond. Once we convinced everyone to whisper or not talk we could see what was back there. We saw a blue heron and a beaver swam around us. I think it was a mother protecting a nest. of course - I did not have my camera so trust me - very cool. When we stopped on a sandbar - I was teased as Pocahontas for identifying the animal tracks- deer, raccoon, and fox. None of these are very hard...

Today I am sore from sitting on the aluminum bench- I have a delicate be-hind....
So how do you canoe?

2 comments:

"M2" said...

I don't :)

summer camp and an awful 6 day canoe camping trip in salt water...in south Fl felling icky the whole week and getting in trouble for bathing with the drinking water did me in.... Getting stuck in a current and paddling for hours to move an inch did me in.
Sleeping in a tent... no more for me.
You just keep on canoeing hun.

Bauer said...

Water is evil. Meow.