Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Terrarium


The set-up.
This has been the project of the week. We were given this tank with parts sealed in to make a complete ecosystem. Basically, plants & animals working together in harmony. Yeah- right. OK the first problem was that it didn't come with any instructions. It had been sitting on a shelf in the science lab storage for uh...longer than I have been working there.
Second, the filter system seemed pretty small and the tank is missing a cover.
So, I take my not so large paycheck and blow it on "supplies" to make myself & the boys happy. The salesperson was more than eager to spend my money on the "right" things. I actually had to "buy" water plants because the ones in the nearby creek will have larvae of many insects that will destroy my pristine habitat. So I am told- Nooooooo icky bugs to contaminate!

So finally on Friday, after I let the tank run for 24 hours with out anymore leaking and the water actually moving around in the tank, we decided Sat will be the day for the critters.

Saturday, the tadpoles moved in with the goldfish. Goldfish in compartment two, tadpoles in the first compartment. Five small tadpoles and two bullfrog tadpoles are accounted for with two basic feeder goldfish. Water plants set - not dried up but floating and rooted. Air bubbler working and a cute little waterfall.
I praise myself - show off - the boys think I am the greatest Mom ever, etc..

Sunday- Hurray! Four of the five small tadpoles turned into Frogs about the size of your finger nail. We are so great! My new genesis!
New Frogs!


Shorty & Moe the bullfrog tadpoles.

Tuesday...One found floating upside down bullfrog tadpole named "Shorty" (left? in the picture) this morning. My 7 year old is crying in his cereal. Says I should have fed him more. M.I.A. two of the new frogs but the goldfish look fatter...
My water fall is now a trickle- "sounds like someone is peeing" states the 10 yr old.
What will tomorrow bring? stay tuned....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, nature is now causing everyone to eat each other. We once had frogs. They smelled just as bad as the turtles we no longer have (for the same reason). Good luck with it.

"M2" said...

I am impressed.... I have never seen one turn into a frog....
good luck keeping the others alive.
perhaps you should feed them more :)

your picture is not working

Anonymous said...

That's a very nice ecosystem. I'm a senior in Sac, California and I would like to do my senior project on a River Tank Ecosystem. Can you tell me please where you purchased the mold? [The sealed in piece that creates 4 compartment layers in your tank] I'm wondering if it would fit in a 10 gallon tank.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me please where you purchased the mold? [The sealed in piece that creates 4 compartment layers in your tank] I'm wondering if it would fit in a 10 gallon tank.