Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The War of the Weeds!



I couldn't put it off any longer. I had to help save my plants from the weeds that have taken over. Last year too many things grew, bloomed, re-seeded and now it was garden chaos! Grasses taller than everything, missing plants, yellow flowers with the purple ones! They won many battles but I am determined to end this war.

It is quite remarkable how adapted most "weeds" are: they can grow under rocks, in between the the plants you want to keep, have prickly parts to keep from being pulled out, they have seeds the fly everywhere at the merest of a touch, and they also mimic looking like plants you already have. Some weeds even try to "look pretty" and bloom.

So the kids & I are pulling and digging. I even caught myself naming some of them; prickly weed, everywhere weed, long root weed, funky leaf weed, sneaky weed, where is your root weed, etc. Yes, the sun was getting a bit warm and the madness seemed to set in quickly at this chore.



Well, after three hours of clearing, I saved about a third of the flower bed. It was time for a break. It won't ever be done. It is kind of like laundry- the basket won't be empty for long because of the clothes you are wearing. The weeds will come back now that there is more room for them to grow.

Maybe I'll just turn it into a rock garden...

No comments: