Ramblings as we journey through the rollercoaster called life!

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Organic or Local








I want to put out there the idea that has been bugging me this summer.
Which is better- eating organic foods or locally grown produce? and when is one better than another?

Some organic produce comes from CA! That is a long way to ripen or over ripe or are they picked very green?

The cost of organic is so high! We have a local distributor for organic milk - still 2x the cost for half as much but it tastes so good.

Eggs! Yikes- 3x as much.

Some local grown foods use chemicals & pesticides- Is this why there is such a high rate of Cancer in America?

If you have any good sites I should look at about this -please let me know. I will put out a comparison of what I find out in another post.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would think local would also be organic. So go with that.

Barkfoot said...

Here in England we have 'allotments', a small patch of local land you can rent for a peppercorn fee on which to grow what ever you like. For a little effort you can be organic and local.

Operationtigerlily said...

If it helps, Costco sells 3 half gallons of organic milk for a little over 8 bucks. We go through about 2 of these a week with my dairy kings. They also carry a large amount of organic items and produce.

"M2" said...

go local
you can always wash produce

more worrisome to me is meat
how it is processed

I had the pleasure of working for a food distributor......
OMG is all I have to say

our USDA regulations are a joke....
animals treated horribly, injected and fed really bad stuff

insanemommy said...

I buy locally. Organic is so pretty pricey. In my opinion. I try to be a good mom but sometimes the pocketbook prevents.. lol...

Hey Secret Agent so are you a veggie?

Elizabeth said...

local organic, naturally!
I think you have to pick your causes and feel good.
Like I only buy free range eggs, I hate the idea of chicken farms.
But to only buy orgnaic meat all the time would be too pricey (I do about 50% of the time).
Then yo hear stuf like Secret Agent said and you feel damned if you do or dont.